Sunday, August 31, 2008

Surprise in the Nest

We just got our first egg from our hens a few days ago. Today my son went to check the nests and look what he found.



There were four eggs in there. He was so excited he made me close my eyes so he could surprise me. Boy, was I shocked to see that many. We got another brown egg. But this one looks round. We got a rose-brown egg. Not sure which hen laid that one. Then there was a white egg. Maybe the new layers inspired the old hens to lay. None of our young hens are supposed to lay white eggs.

The biggest surprise was the blue egg. When we picked out chicks earlier this year, my son wanted one that would lay blue or blue/green eggs. We got 2 easter egger hens because not all of them lay blue eggs. So I thought my chances were better if I got 2 of them. Look at the size of the blue egg. It's bigger than all the other eggs. Since it's the first one from one of my EE hens, I expected it to be small, like the brown eggs are. Wonder why her eggs started off so much bigger?

I am so proud of my hens. You go girls!

5 comments:

littletoesandcheerios said...

Don't ya love surprizes? Nature is so cool.

Anonymous said...

I have a little blog award for you over at my site!

~Laura

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest thing! I never even knew there was such a thing as an Easter Egg hen! I am hoping to get my own chickens someday, as soon as the kids are old enough to help with their care and feeding. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting about the Babywearing Bonanza. If you decide to post my button or blog about it, make sure and let me know, so I can award you extra entries.

Take care!

Rachelle said...

So cool!!! I love the blue egg :-) What a nice size for the first one. Now I really want some chickens!
Blessings-
Rachelle

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I love the eggs. It looks like you've been at them with the food coloring.