Friday, November 21, 2008

Senseless Death

Friday morning at 2 am I got several phone calls waking me up. You know when someone calls in the middle of the night it can only mean one thing, bad news. They told me my 15 year old nephew Jason was dead. I said, HOW? He's still a baby, he can't be dead! But he was. I couldn't believe it.

They told me he had been huffing gasoline. Now, I had vaguely heard of huffing before. In case you don't know it's when you inhale the fumes of something to get high. It can be done with any number of substances such as white out, aerosol dust off (like for computers), spray paint, and even air freshener. Just normal everyday things you have in and around your home. I looked this up after I found out what happened. It says that 20% of children have tried it. It starts as early as age 9. What are our children doing? They think it's okay because it's not a drug. But it does kill!

We will be going to the funeral home tomorrow night and the funeral will be Sunday afternoon. I wish this was all just a bad dream. She shouldn't have to be burying her only child. It's just so incomprehensible. Please talk to any children you know about this deadly problem. Let them know they don't need to bow to peer pressure, let them know it kills.

Please pray for Jason's mom, I don't know how she will overcome this without the Lord's help.

8 comments:

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I'm so very sorry, Nancy. I know your whole family must be hurting right now.

Blessings & peace,
Lea

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

I'm sooo sorry Nancy. I know someone who used to do this, and it has totally messed up his whole mind. He's only in his 20s, has a (soon to be ex) wife and little boy. His wife just couldn't tolerate their life together, especially with their little son. This is a very dangerous thing to do. Causes major brain and personality damage, and, as you know, can cause death.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

God Bless,
Vic

Nancy said...

Oh, Nancy! I'm so sorry to hear this. Your whole family is in my thoughts. *hug*

Sadge said...

I'm so sorry. My 15 year-old twin nephews will be here for Thanksgiving. It's so sad, but I'm going to use your post to start a discussion with them.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

I am so very sorry for you and your family's loss! My prayers are with you as well as his mom. Much blessings, Kathleen

Coach Paulette said...

My prayers are with you and your family - so sorry for your loss!

Anonymous said...

Nancy - I will pray for peace for your family. Laura

Michelle said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your nephew...will keep his family in my prayers as they must be going through such a hard time now; especially with the holidays coming up.