Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Review- The American Patriot's Almanac


I received The American Patriot's Almanac: Daily Readings on America a few weeks ago. I chose it because we homeschool and I thought it would be a great addition to our library.

It tells of events that happened each day for 365 days. You could make it last a whole year. After each of the main stories, there are other key dates in American history. It's really interesting to read what happened on certain days, like your birthday.

Today's story tells where teddy bears came from. Did you know that they are named after former President Teddy Roosevelt? It goes back to a day when he was not having any luck hunting bears and one of his guides tied a bear to a tree so the president could shoot it. But, the president wouldn't shoot the bear because it was helpless. So places started selling a lot of stuffed bears called teddy bears. Cute story, isn't it?

I love history, so this was fun for me to read, but I think it would be fun for anyone. It makes me feel more patriotic. If you want to know more about it you can find it at here.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi! I wanted to stop by and say thank you for commenting on my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours, except for the post about you losing a chicken to dogs. I am sorry to read that, I hope she will be the last one you lose! I would like to get some chickens, but we have so many hawks around I am apprehensive about it and wonder if any poor chickens will ever be able to leave the coop on this farm.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review, I've seen that book and wondered about it....glad I dropped by!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That books sounds great, Nancy! Perfect for my boys. I'll have to see if our library can get it.

About that foaming handsoap, it is great for little ones because it doesn't slide off their hands and down the drain. Just remember that you really don't have to add water and lather it up in your hand ... it is already lathered from the dispenser so you just dispense, wash and rinse.

It took me a while to break the old habit of adding water after the soap was on my hands and I ended up just rinsing it down the drain.

I hope maybe this ideas helps your family a bit like it does ours. I dislike spending so much money on cleaning items when I would rather be putting that money into my grocery budget.

Hugs,
Lea